This image was taken by www.photoboudreau.com

Monday, March 24, 2008

water




Yesterday was a trying day. Maps and signs can be misleading. I had been searching for a store of any kind for water, it's hot and I'm going through a lot of it. These so called "towns" are not, not a person or store in site, wait was that dirt road a lead in for a "town"? It's not easy riding dirt with this trailer or skinny tires. I went and went and saw a paved road as a last ditch effort I went down. Stopped at a farm with lots of barking dogs, and no answer. I hoped I could get water from someone. Now the sun is starting to set. I saw a red pick up ahead and flagged them down. I could not believe there was 9 or 10 people inside of this truck! "hey guys, did you a store that way?" The man that was driving spoke broken English but well, and the rest were younger men and boys all speaking Spanish. His reply, "no, there is nothing that way for 10 miles, we are looking too". I explained I was down on supplies and it was getting closer to dark. They offered me their water. The boys happily scurried up a gallon jug in that I used to fill my bottle. Wow, I got lucky. They were delighted to give. I thanked the men and got back on my way. 16 miles to the next town.






I didn't want to be riding in the dark, not with my gear as it was. I needed to still do major adjustments. I got into the next town into the young night and saught out a publix. I noticed a field in the back and an orange grove I though would be great for camping. I was glad to get off the bike, my first 67 mile day. After shopping for a few food items, I proudly carried my rig through the deep sand pathways to a quiet spot in the grove. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, i set up my tent and laid down.







No comments:

Wanna know where I'm performing next?


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast