This image was taken by www.photoboudreau.com

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Crash










In training for my journey along the east coast, I was struck by a drunk driver. I couldn't go back to work, and had only wks before I had originally planned on leaving. Dizzy spells, nausea, and confusion were debilitating, and a disc in my back would often bulge hitting critical nerves and causing my legs to go out. I had poured my soul into this project, and didn't want anything to prevent me from leaving. The concussion made my thoughts very unclear. For 4 wks I couldn't walk, or hear out of my left ear. I didn't know how I would be able to do this. I was extremely determined and envisioned myself on my bicycle, care free and heading north. Starting on my way to recovery, my friends and I planned a rummage sale/car wash to raise the money for me to go on the tour. Tijuana Taxi Co, the restaurant that I worked at, was extremely supportive in my crisis. They pulled together their resources to hold a raffle in my honor and helped with the car wash.People wanted to be a part of it and get involved. The concept of togetherness and community never struck me so thoroughly. This time was life changing, and now I realize it was the beginning of learning to count on others and ask for help when I need it.

No comments:

Wanna know where I'm performing next?


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast