This image was taken by www.photoboudreau.com

Thursday, April 10, 2008

oh the trees of Savannah




me and Patrick having coffee





a home full of home


Savannah was an interesting town. I felt unsure about it. I went in and went down town. I felt a lot that day and looked forward to getting safe and being alone. I searched for sleeping options and stumbled across a music store. I really needed a new guitar case, as mine had got wet, and the guitar was also wet in turn starting to warp. It had been a few days in rain on and off, I felt most of my gear was damp. I went into the shop in a tiz, and a man saw this and asked me what he could help with. I explained, he helped. I bought a new case and finally took the guitar away from the wet cardboard and into the dry case. he tightened my fret board. Check... one more thing i really needed to do. Then he walked outside with me to see my rig. The CEO of the store came out and spoke with me for a breif minute then was on his phone, "ok, ok yeah, all right see you later" , "where are you staying?" "well i'm not quite sure yet acutually, i was just getting into town" , "stay with us, my wife is home and we have an extra room and bath, go print her the directions from mapquest" and he was off. wow, i find myself in a new and lucky situation. I got a map to his home. The way there was so wild, and houses become further apart and flowers were bountiful. Then a sign, the isle of hope. Couldn't have been more fitting.

He and his wife were Canadian, and free thinkers. I really enjoyed my stay with them. Her home is one I dreamed would someday be mine. Everything was full of life, I love it. On the counter sat a sugar dish, the exact same one my grandmother had. Inside was brown sugar, the only thing she ever kept in it.




The next day while shopping in publix, I met Farmer D. He approached me and asked "is that your rig out there?" I told him about my trip and my mission, and my show that night at the Guitar Bar. He asked, "where are you staying?" at the time i was going to head into down town again and scope out the location. "i'm not sure, somewhere down town" "well if you need a place i've got a spare room and bath downtown" this was perfect. so he gave me directions, and I met up with him later. He is an organic farmer, sucessful in his youth. That night he brought friends to the gig, and was very helpful and supportive. the show... lot's of smoke billowed into the bar room setting, and as for equiptment? Mic seemed blown at best and I couldn't even plug the guitar in. well, I guess it's not about that. After the show, a man walked up to me and slipped me this note. Before I could really understand what just happened I tucked away safely, then remembered meeting this friend at the park earlier that day. But it didn't matter that I was putting these things together in my mind, because he had all ready left. Soon after I had to read it, and it read:

Rachel, If you reach one person than you've changed the world. Your voice is amazing. Good luck on your journey.
-######
(guy who played for you in the park)

No comments:

Wanna know where I'm performing next?


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast