This image was taken by www.photoboudreau.com

Saturday, October 10, 2009

are eating chocolate chips for breakfast again?

I really don’t know where to start on the update. In fact, still don’t feel caught up from the last New York trip in August. What about the Hats off Saratoga Festival? Check out the article in the Saratogian here
Yikes Thanksgiving is in a few days!

October was a complete whirlwind, starting with bike night at the Pumpkintown Opry. I had spent months in preparation, trying to tell people about how fun it would be, and convince people to camp out after the show. I even co-wrote a skit and played 3 roles in it, not to mention learning how to clog. We had the Superficials come all the way from Nashville to play, along with myself and Ray Harper. It was a blast; I’m still trying to get a hold of some of that video….soon. We had a camp fire after under a full moon.


There was only a few days left before heading down to Florida. When arriving into town I fell right into some sort of down town Farmers Market and there was music playing. Made myself a PB Honey sandwich and headed for the festivities. Grabbed my guitar out of the car and Stumbled upon Dirty Nelly’s where I sat down next to a young bearded man and ordered a pint. Upon our conversation we decided to take it outside and go song for song in the parking lot behind the Elbow Room. . Jon Gaunt is a gifted musician. He explained to me his lifestyle of touring around and his recent return from a trip with Chuck Reagan, then hooked it up for me to showcase a few songs at the Elbow Room that night. He graciously hosted me as well, where I spent my very first night sleeping under a banana tree. (It’s hard thinking of how hot it was that night as a lay buried under my sleeping bag and blankets this morning at the cabin)

The next day was more exchanging of travel stories, along with coffee, bananas, and beer. That night I played at the Pizza Palace. I Notice this pic behind me. Wow, that looks like Mike Dorsey. The artist signed “Dorsey”. Is it possible this is the work of Mike Dorsey?? The talented, the songwriting- anything-playing prodigy? Is also an artist?
(later found out that it IS his work, a portrait of his father)

The next night was the show at the shooting star, that’s where I’ll share Casey’s version of the story:
Casey says: “There seemed to be a sense of anticipation on Saturday at the Shooting Star. Was it because the night before America decided to launch a BomB at the moon or was it knowing that old friends would reunite that night and play some of the best music they had in them for like a year and a half. Wow! What a blast that night was it was like we were reading each others minds musically. As the night winded down the wind came in and no one wanted to say goodbyes. So we went for a late night and late as in 3 in the morning jam. As the smell of Sweetwater 420’s and sushi finally came out of pores the night was ending. That’s when Casey says something like “hey can I just come down south with you for the weekend?” At this point the company was well accepted for ahead was along drive to a radio station gig at in Tampa the next morning! We drove all night long and exchanged road stories and coffee till the sun came up driving down highway”

Here's what I have to say about it.
I arrived at The Shooting Star early, and the very accommodating bartender invited me to sit and have a bite and a beer. I introduced myself and asked him to hang on my keys and then went for a run. I circled around the down town area trying to half remember how to eventually get back. The hustle of a Friday night in Gainesville gave me a fresh thought, and the physical transfer was necessary for what the night had in store. I felt energized, and when I returned I sampled a salad with seared tuna (…so good). Then I reunited with Jason Hedges. It had been a long time, {LINK} remember this hoola-hooping-dobro sliding- guitar pickin music maker? He had been hosting this night of music, and came in to give me the details of what I would do that night while he was participating in another music jamboree across town for the next few hours.
We had many a great musician’s play on the stage that night, and I got to share a lot of my new material. Before long, I felt a familiar presence enter the patio. Looking around I saw a man with a small pack and a hat and a mandolin on his back. Casey Jones? No way, Casey Jones is that you? Had not seen him since I left Gainesville at the beginning of the Music Bike Tour. Really? He sat in the far back corner of the room. Did I ask him right up to the stage or did we exchange a few thoughts first. Get up here and play! And then where did Jimmy come from? Wait Jimmy, you were {LINK} on the porch that night too!
All the sudden the patio was filling and friends were all around. And on stage was full of new sounds



2 o’clock came on quick, and who ever was left ate a sushi feast. Then we headed over to Rob’s for late night jam and I had a well needed shot of espresso (Rob always has delicious coffee treats) Rob is such a graceful presence and I truly missed his smiling spirit. I really wanted to stay and connect further but I had a radio interview soon! When we were leaving I asked Casey, “you coming with me?” and he grabbed his things and we left. On the way out of town we stopped at a magical place where he had to pick up one of his instruments. There where huge banyon trees and some spanish moss too and make believe things all around. Maybe it was the espresso, but I’ve never seen anything like this, tree houses, and stages, and theatrical expressions all around, you could tell that this was the origin of creation.

Then we were off! Tampa here we come.

No comments:

Wanna know where I'm performing next?


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast