This image was taken by www.photoboudreau.com

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

back to New York, the mountains

So for the next 1,000 miles, we consistently over heated starting every 100 miles and gradually decreasing mileage until we only made it six miles and smoke was pouring out. Somehow through this we stopped and had a pitcher of Dos xx and a large plate of veggie nachos. Ok, back on the road. At some point toward the end we threw in the liquid copper sealing junk to roll us into home stretch. Somehow we made it to Upstate New York where I grew up and my family still resides. With the car still breaking down I borrowed my friend Jen’s V10 monster truck to go to my Albany interview with clear channel radio station pix 106, waking up with the wolf. For starters we had taken the last bit of all funds to purchase the radiator (not yet installed) for pour Otis, so needless to say we had like 10 bucks for this gas guzzler, which after taking more than 3 wrong turns seemed to be insufficient. Yikes we are going to run out of gas an I don’t where the station is and we are late and it’s a clear channel interview!! Driving like a maniac, I was shocked it didn’t happen sooner, and I heard the sirens and saw the light. Ok don’t panic, it’s been years since I’ve been pulled over. Shaking as the officer approached I could not find the registration anywhere; he took my license and wrote me a ticket with in 5 minutes. Then I saw the registration right on my visor. At least he was quick about. Unfortunately for him once we got on the air and I told them about our morning, Lovey insisted on saying his name on air. The entire experience was bizarre, going into the clear channel building, meeting the security folks, going in late and breaking a string before even getting on, and then the interview itself. I'm still trying to figure out how to stream this one.
The next day we finally put that radiator in, it can’t be that hard right? Pretty much went in with out a hitch. The following day was a gig at the waterhole in Saranac Lake! I love that place, it’s always a huge local party. This town was voted best small town in New York State. It’s smack dab in the heart of the high peaks in the Adirondack Park. It was an incredible “happy hour” where we actually played for like 5 hours or something because we love it there so much. And these people are hard-core Northerners, with some outrageous stories to share. In fact, that night there was a going away party for a couple that was selling everything they owned and heading to South America to travel around by back pack. Thank you Waterhole!



At the end of the night we decided to take Brandon

up on his offer to host us. His house was full of treasures. There was an exchange of gifts and we rested a few hours and left early. He made a very special dream catcher which made it to our car dash special things display, and has been bringing me great dreams ever since.
The ride back through the ADKs was full. The rain poured and the clouds were low and visible

So in the midst of all the fun and excitement
We were also in the studio all week, "Casey, how we gonna have time for practice?"

The next day was our big show at Caffe Lena, voted best small venue in North America twice!! Lots of video and audio from that night that we will be sharing.



My time with my family was amazing. I hadn’t seen my brother
since last year in Los Angeles, and my nephew has made leaps and bounds since the few months that I had not been with him. My little brother is now taller than me. Ah!! So many changes. This is almost too much to write about. My nephew loves the violin, he was searching through all the music cases to find his favorite instrument, just in time for his first lesson.

do we have enough water to keep this think goin

So I’ll cut this short by ending with a little preview of our special collection of dash board items: The Dream Catcher made by Brandon out of items he found in while exploring in the woods, a mini pumpkin that some how made It in our things after the waterhole gig, a bicycle eye-ball bell from the Bike Bash, a turtle made out of sticks that Casey made and we can’t remember when or where (blue berry patch?), A piece of birch bark from a park in the middle of the ADKs with a waterfall, a little tiny wine glass decanter hand blown, a hand blown glass turtle, sweet grass from Brandon, a lucky black pepper(that was once green) from my garden, a purple slice of precious rock buried from my moms junk room, and the remnants of leaves from 9 corner lake.
But wait, I can't fit everything back in this car? Where is my peanut butter?
paying attention


10 miles outside of my family’s house we overheated again, but that was it until a rest stop in Tennessee welcome center. I woke up and Casey was inside and came out and the car wouldn’t start. So, we experienced our 6th vacation spot in the lobby. It was full of beautifully covered knotty pine even and a fire place. We thought of all the ideas we could until we realized we needed some sleep. Back to the car, buried in sleeping bags and blankets we slept until light.
"Casey how we gonna get back, working for change?"


Then I just said, “the car is gonna start” and asked this kind lovable young couple for a jump, and she started right up. We made it all the way to Asheville and I brought the battery in to check it. Using the brushed I cleaned up the terminals and threw it back in. she started right up on her own!! Guess all that spattering of engine coolant can really get all over the inner parts of Otis. On our very last stop before home we went into the grocery. When we went to get back in the car the key twisted up like a ball of tin foil. What just happened? It’s a good thing Casey’s been using pliers to tune his mandolin because his key’s broke, and that he had them in his back pocket, because we used them to pound out the key back to its semi-original form and it worked!
How did we make it back again to red clay hill? Miracle after miracle.

No comments:

Wanna know where I'm performing next?


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast


Rachel%20VanSlyke
Quantcast